For many that are looking for a natural remedy to help us sleep may not be aware that many herbal supplements can actually be keeping you awake. Many common herbs are also powerful stimulants.
Here is a list of herbs that may be keeping you awake.
• Ginger: Used to treat indigestion, nausea and motion sickness
• Ginkgo Biloba: This herb is used for circulatory disorders, memory enhancement, and muscular degeneration.
• Ginseng: Used for bodily functions, strengthening the immune system, tension headaches and can also raise blood pressure and cause frequent urination.
• Kola nuts: Caffeine is the primary ingredient of kola nuts and its mainly used to fight drowsiness, fatigue and to boost energy and mental alertness; sometimes confused with gotu kola, a non-stimulant herb.
• Yerba mate: This herb is used to stimulate weight loss, energy and mental alertness, and to help strengthen the immune system, accelerate healing and to increase longevity.
If you are taking any of these stimulants as a supplement, then they may be preventing you from falling asleep. Try stop taking them, and see if they make a difference, and remember that your body needs some time to metabolize medications, even the natural herbal supplements, so definitely wait a few days to allow the stimulants to work their way out of your system.
If after you’ve stopped taking the herbal supplements and you are still restless and finding it difficult to sleep, then there may be something else causing your sleep problem and it may be time to seek professional help.